Maple Miso Crusted Salmon Buddha Bowl
- 1/4 cup miso paste
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp low sodium soya sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 4 salmon fillets (1 lb per filet)
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped naturSource Maple Praline Almonds
- Cooked rice or quinoa (can be swapped out with cauliflower rice for the carb-concious)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (garnish)
- Reserved maple miso sauce
- 1 medium carrot, julienned or grated
- 1 cup broccoli florets, previously blanched
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Quick Pickled Cucumbers:
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp combination of red pepper flakes, black peppercorn, coriander seeds
- 2 cups thinly sliced English cucumbers
For the quick pickled cucumber:
- Put cucumber in container.
- In small saucepan, heat water,vinegar, sugar and salt until sugar and salt have dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Add, red pepper flakes, black peppercorn, coriander seeds to the sauce pan and let rest 5-10 min.
- Pour the brine over the cucumbers. Cover and let the mixture rest in the fridge until ready to eat. The flavours develop over time. Prepare at least 1h in advance, or overnight soak is best.
- *Cucumbers must be fully submerged in the brine.
For the maple miso crusted salmon:
- Preheat oven at 425F (230C)
- In a small saucepan, stir maple syrup, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger. Whisk in miso paste. Bring to gentle boil (small bubbles) until thickened, then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the panko, chopped almonds, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place the salmon, skin side down, on a board and brush the top of the fillets with 1/2 cooled sauce. Press the panko mixture on top of the sauce on each fillet.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat in a cast-iron skillet or large heavy, ovenproof pan. When oil is hot, add salmon fillets,skin side down and sear for 3 -4 minutes, without turning, to brown skin.
- Transfer the pan to the hot oven for 5 to 7 minutes until the salmon is almost cooked and the panko is browned. Remove from oven, and allow to rest for 5 min.
Assemble the bowls:
Divide your pre-cooked grain among 4 bowls. Top with salmon, pickled cucumbers, avocado, carrots, broccoli and sesame seeds. Drizzle with maple miso sauce.