Cranberry apple streusel muffin crunch
These cranberry apple streusel muffins are perfectly crumbly and tart, speckled with sweet apples, explosive fresh cranberries and lip-puckering lemon zest. A sweet streusel topping of Cranberry Crunch granola, brown sugar and coconut oil (or butter) crowns the whole affair.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsps baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup maple syrup/ honey
- 1 cup Honeycrisp or Cortland apples
- 1 cup cranberries
- For streusel topping:
- ½ cup AP flour
- ½ cup naturSource® Cranberry Crunch granola
- ½ cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Chop apple.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg thoroughly until airy. Add oil, applesauce and maple syrup in a steady stream, continuing to whisk throughout.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture, and add wet mixture. Stir only until combined (do not over mix).
- Add the apple and cranberries and fold them in gently.
- Oil a muffin pan very thoroughly. Fill each muffin cavity to the top.
- If using streusel topping, stir all the dry ingredients together. Add melted coconut oil or butter slowly, and stir to combine. Top each muffin with a tbsp of streusel topping.
- Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
After finding that a career in journalism and political writing just wasn’t filling her up, Ksenia Prints decided to sink her teeth into cooking, baking, and food writing. She blogs, photographs and creates all content over at http://immigrantstable.com, where she details her allergy-conscious attempts to recreate and adapt her family’s migrant kitchen.