Beets, Apple, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad
Submitted by Cheryl Yeung
Salad ingredients (for 4 portions)
½ cup naturSource Salad Topper Crunch
4 yellow beets
1 Honeycrisp apple
140g goat cheese
Salad dressing ingredients
1 tsp Dijon mustard
¼ cup olive oil
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
Salt & pepper
1 tbs honey
- Add honey to a pot of boiling water, then add unpeeled yellow beets for about 20-30 mins.
- Poke beets with a fork to make sure they are cooked. The holes from the fork will allow the honey to penetrate the yellow beets making them taste sweeter, and less earthy.
- Drain beets and peel skin off with a knife, or rub the skin off with your hands.
- Cut beets in quarter or slices.
- Slice up Honeycrisp apples (or any apples really – Granny Smith apples are also a good choice because they are sour, and will balance out the sweetness of the beets).
- In a bowl, add arugula (without stems), sliced apples, quartered yellow beets and goat cheese.
- Top off the salad with naturSource Salad Topper Crunch
For the dressing, everyone has different taste preferences. Personally, I mix 1 tbs of Dijon mustard for every 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar and 1tsp of honey. The salad already has a lot of sweet components, therefore honey is optional. Obviously, salt and pepper are required for an extra favourable dressing.
Hong Kong born and Montreal raised, Cheryl’s culinary style is a blend of her two home cities – a mix of European styles of cooking and Asian ingredients and flavours. She is a food photographer and stylist, an advocate of sustainable foods, and a firm believer in farm to table ways of eating.